News from IINAS
Upcoming Conferences, Events, and Workshops
IINAS will contribute to a review of the ongoing BECOOL project in Vienna, Dec.18-19, 2018, to a FAIRMODE Technical Meeting in Warsaw, Feb. 11-12, 2019 and will give keynotes and presentations to the German BIO-raffiniert X concerence in Oberhausen, Feb. 26-27, 2019.
After that, IINAS will participate in the joint kickoff meetings of the new IEA Bioenergy Tasks which will be hosted by our partner Stockholm Environment Institute - we'll report more about this exciting event in March, 2019.
- Livestream, presentations and outcomes of the 1st Dialogue on "Contribution of a sustainable Wood Energy production approach to Forest Landscape Restoration (FLR) in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA)" at the Global Landscape Forum 2018 on Dec 1, 2018 in Bonn
Presentation "Bioenergy & sustainable development" at the UNECE 9th International Forum on Energy for Sustainable Development in Kiew (Ukraine), Session "The role of bioenergy in light of changes to the energy landscape" Nov 13, 2018
- We contributed to the IEA Bioenergy Task 43/FAO workshop "Sustainable Landscape Management for Bioenergy and the Bioeconomy" Oct. 11-12, 2018 in Rome
- Book chapter by Uwe R. Fritsche: "Sustainability of Bioenergy - State of the art". In: Lago, Carmen; Caldes, Natalia & Lechon, Yolanda (eds.) The Role of Bioenergy in the Emerging Bioeconomy - Resources, Technologies, Sustainability and Policy. Academic Press. London etc.: 225-241 (2019)
- 3. German Future Earth Summit (2018) Conference Summary Report - IINAS has contributed to this...
- Presentation No Palm Oil for Biofuels: Policy recommendations for a ban on using palm oil for producing biofuels at the DUH/HBS/WWF Conference “The social and environmental impacts of EU palmoil policies” 25. April 2018 in Brussels
- Presentation Background to ILUC and other mechanisms influencing use of bioenergy to replace fossil energy at the 8th ETIP Stakeholder Plenary Meeting 11.-12.April 2018 in Brussels
- A preview of the article by Pelmans, Luc et al. (2018) Long-term strategies for sustainable biomass imports in European bioenergy markets (BioFPR 2018)
- Linkages between the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the GBEP Sustainability Indicators for Bioenergy (GSI) Technical Paper for the GBEP (Feb. 2018)
- The IEA "Technology Roadmap: Delivering Sustainable Bioenergy" (Nov 2017) is an important milestone to which IINAS contributed as part of its work in IEA Bioenergy - highly recommended read! IINAS prepared a summary of the roadmap (Jan 2018)
Sustainable Land Use
- Presentation Energy and Land Use: A contribution to the UNCCD Global Land Outlook at the Land and Poverty Conference 2018: Land Governance in an Interconnected World, March 19-23, 2018, World Bank, Washington, DC
Working paper "Land and energy" (corrected version!) for the UNCCD Global Land Outlook prepared by IINAS in collaboration with an international team of co-authors, including IINAS SAB members Helen Watson and IINAS associate Göran Berndes
IINAS contributed to the Global Soil Week May 22-24, 2017 in Berlin - see e.g., Results of Workshop 3 on "Sustainable Consumption and Land Degradation Neutrality" an the Input of IINAS to WG3. For the overall results of the Global Soil Week 2017 see Report of IISD
- Article: Berndes, Göran & Fritsche, Uwe (2016) May we have some more land use change, please? Biofuels, Bioprod. Bioref. 10: 195–197 (free download)
Sustainability of the Bioeconomy, Bioenergy and Biofuels
- IEA Bioenergy Success Stories - IINAS has compiled these in an IEA Bioenerge InterTask Projet which is now completed
- Presentation Gaps and opportunities for BECCS/U in current policies from a scientific view at the workshop "Political and regulatory issues related to Bio-CC(U)S" of the EC and IEA Bioenergy on Jan 16, 2018 in Brussels
- IINAS provided feedback to the EU consultation on "Roadmap on Update of the 2012 Bioeconomy Strategy"
- IINAS contributed to http://www.biofuelsforeurope.eu/ - a website supported by Novozymes, Scania and Shell, and managed by Meghan Sapp https://www.linkedin.com/in/meghansapp/
- Presentation Sustainability of the bioeconomy at the 2nd International Bioeconomy Congress, September 12-13, 2017 in Stuttgart-Hohenheim, Germany
- Presentations at the GBEP side event "Bioenergy, water and SDG implementation: Experiences and linkages" on August 31 during the 2017 World Water Week in Stockholm
- Presentations and summary of the International Workshop of the GBEP Task Force on Sustainability "Linkages between Sustainable Development Goals and GBEP Sustainability Indicators" in Bonn, 3-4 July 2017
Presentations of the international workshop of the IEA Bioenergy Intertask Sustainability project "Sustainability of Bioenergy Supply Chains" in Gothenburg, May 17-18, 2017
IINAS contributed to the IEA Workshop "Sustainability Governance Bioenergy" April 25, 2017 in Paris - see Documentation
- Article "Strategy Elements for a Sustainable Bioenergy Policy Based on Scenarios and Systems Modeling: Germany as Example" to which IINAS contributed (free download)
- The IEA Bioenergy response to the Chatham House report on GHG balances of bioenergy was supported not only by IINAS, but by many colleagues - thanks for this!
- Study of IINAS and our partner SQ Consult for IEA-RETD on integrating 1st and 2nd generation biofuel plants
- IINAS is a partner in the new IEA Bioenergy InterTask Project "Measuring, governing and gaining support for sustainable bioenergy supply chains” which is carried out in cooperation with the universities Chalmers, Laval/Quebec and Utrecht as well as ORNL and will run until 2018.
- The EU Biomass Policies project prepared its final report
- The EU BiomassTrade2020plus project concluded with several new papers
- English summary of the Milestones 2030 project "Elements and milestones for the development of a stable and sustainable bioenergy strategy" (2015)
- For more info see biomass project page and downloads of earlier work
Energy, Climate and Environmental Analyses
- The European Commission held a workshop on "Life Cycle Analysis for Carbon Capture & Utilisation" on June 6, 2017 in Brussels to which IINAS contributed (see live web stream and documentation)
- GEMIS model and database (version 4.95 - update April 2017) as ZIP file
- Selected results from GEMIS for energy and transport systems in Excel file
- updated and extended GEMIS documents
- IINAS is partner in the World Bank's Platform for Climate-Smart Planning, providing GEMIS as a tool.