News from IINAS
Upcoming Conferences, Events, and Workshops
IINAS will contribute to the 26th European Biomass Conference & Exhibition (EUBCE) May 14-17, 2018 in Copenhagen.
- Presentation No Palm Oil for Biofuels: Policy recommendations for a ban on using palm oil for producing biofuels at the DUH/HBS/WWF Conference “The social and environmental impacts of EU palmoil policies” 25. April 2018 in Brussels
- Presentation Background to ILUC and other mechanisms influencing use of bioenergy to replace fossil energy at the 8th ETIP Stakeholder Plenary Meeting 11.-12.April 2018 in Brussels
- A preview of the article by Pelmans, Luc et al. (2018) Long-term strategies for sustainable biomass imports in European bioenergy markets (BioFPR 2018)
- Linkages between the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the GBEP Sustainability Indicators for Bioenergy (GSI) Technical Paper for the GBEP (Feb. 2018)
- The IEA "Technology Roadmap: Delivering Sustainable Bioenergy" (Nov 2017) is an important milestone to which IINAS contributed as part of its work in IEA Bioenergy - highly recommended read! IINAS prepared a summary of the roadmap (Jan 2018)
Sustainable Land Use
- Presentation Energy and Land Use: A contribution to the UNCCD Global Land Outlook at the Land and Poverty Conference 2018: Land Governance in an Interconnected World, March 19-23, 2018, World Bank, Washington, DC
Working paper "Land and energy" (corrected version!) for the UNCCD Global Land Outlook prepared by IINAS in collaboration with an international team of co-authors, including IINAS SAB members Helen Watson and IINAS associate Göran Berndes
IINAS contributed to the Global Soil Week May 22-24, 2017 in Berlin - see e.g., Results of Workshop 3 on "Sustainable Consumption and Land Degradation Neutrality" an the Input of IINAS to WG3. For the overall results of the Global Soil Week 2017 see Report of IISD
- Article: Berndes, Göran & Fritsche, Uwe (2016) May we have some more land use change, please? Biofuels, Bioprod. Bioref. 10: 195–197 (free download)
Sustainability of the Bioeconomy, Bioenergy and Biofuels
- IEA Bioenergy Success Stories - IINAS has compiled these in an IEA Bioenerge InterTask Projet which is now completed
- Presentation Gaps and opportunities for BECCS/U in current policies from a scientific view at the workshop "Political and regulatory issues related to Bio-CC(U)S" of the EC and IEA Bioenergy on Jan 16, 2018 in Brussels
- IINAS provided feedback to the EU consultation on "Roadmap on Update of the 2012 Bioeconomy Strategy"
- IINAS contributed to http://www.biofuelsforeurope.eu/ - a website supported by Novozymes, Scania and Shell, and managed by Meghan Sapp https://www.linkedin.com/in/meghansapp/
- Presentation Sustainability of the bioeconomy at the 2nd International Bioeconomy Congress, September 12-13, 2017 in Stuttgart-Hohenheim, Germany
- Presentations at the GBEP side event "Bioenergy, water and SDG implementation: Experiences and linkages" on August 31 during the 2017 World Water Week in Stockholm
- Presentations and summary of the International Workshop of the GBEP Task Force on Sustainability "Linkages between Sustainable Development Goals and GBEP Sustainability Indicators" in Bonn, 3-4 July 2017
Presentations of the international workshop of the IEA Bioenergy Intertask Sustainability project "Sustainability of Bioenergy Supply Chains" in Gothenburg, May 17-18, 2017
IINAS contributed to the IEA Workshop "Sustainability Governance Bioenergy" April 25, 2017 in Paris - see Documentation
- Article "Strategy Elements for a Sustainable Bioenergy Policy Based on Scenarios and Systems Modeling: Germany as Example" to which IINAS contributed (free download)
- The IEA Bioenergy response to the Chatham House report on GHG balances of bioenergy was supported not only by IINAS, but by many colleagues - thanks for this!
- Study of IINAS and our partner SQ Consult for IEA-RETD on integrating 1st and 2nd generation biofuel plants
- IINAS is a partner in the new IEA Bioenergy InterTask Project "Measuring, governing and gaining support for sustainable bioenergy supply chains” which is carried out in cooperation with the universities Chalmers, Laval/Quebec and Utrecht as well as ORNL and will run until 2018.
- The EU Biomass Policies project prepared its final report
- The EU BiomassTrade2020plus project concluded with several new papers
- English summary of the Milestones 2030 project "Elements and milestones for the development of a stable and sustainable bioenergy strategy" (2015)
- For more info see biomass project page and downloads of earlier work
Energy, Climate and Environmental Analyses
- The European Commission held a workshop on "Life Cycle Analysis for Carbon Capture & Utilisation" on June 6, 2017 in Brussels to which IINAS contributed (see live web stream and documentation)
- GEMIS model and database (version 4.95 - update April 2017) as ZIP file
- Selected results from GEMIS for energy and transport systems in Excel file
- updated and extended GEMIS documents
- IINAS is partner in the World Bank's Platform for Climate-Smart Planning, providing GEMIS as a tool.