News from IINAS
Upcoming Conferences, Events, and Workshops
IINAS is co-organizing a session on linkages between the Sustainable Development Goals and the bioeconomy on Feb 8, 2018 at the 3rd German Future Earth Summit in Berlin, and, together with FAO, another session on that issue during the 2nd Global Bioeconomy Summit, April 19-20, 2018 in Berlin.
- IINAS contributed to the workshop "Political and regulatory issues related to Bio-CC(U)S" of the EC and IEA Bioenergy on Jan 16, 2018 in Brussels, see presentation "Gaps and opportunities for BECCS/U in current policies from a scientific view"
- After extensive work and discussions, the IEA "Technology Roadmap: Delivering Sustainable Bioenergy" is published - an important milestone to which IINAS contributed as part of its work in IEA Bioenergy - highly recommended read!
Sustainable Land Use
Working paper "Land and energy" (corrected version!) for the UNCCD Global Land Outlook prepared by IINAS in collaboration with an international team of co-authors, including IINAS SAB members Helen Watson and IINAS associate Göran Berndes
IINAS contributed to the Global Soil Week May 22-24, 2017 in Berlin - see e.g., Results of Workshop 3 on "Sustainable Consumption and Land Degradation Neutrality" an the Input of IINAS to WG3. For the overall results of the Global Soil Week 2017 see Report of IISD
- IINAS supported the European-wide campaign People 4 Soil
- Article: Berndes, Göran & Fritsche, Uwe (2016) May we have some more land use change, please? Biofuels, Bioprod. Bioref. 10: 195–197 (free download)
Sustainability of the Bioeconomy, Bioenergy and Biofuels
- IINAS presentation on the sustainability of the bioeconomy at the 2nd International Bioeconomy Congress, September 12-13, 2017 in Stuttgart-Hohenheim, Germany
- Presentations at the GBEP side event "Bioenergy, water and SDG implementation: Experiences and linkages" on August 31 during the 2017 World Water Week in Stockholm
- Presentations and summary of the International Workshop of the GBEP Task Force on Sustainability "Linkages between Sustainable Development Goals and GBEP Sustainability Indicators" in Bonn, 3-4 July 2017
Presentations of the international workshop of the IEA Bioenergy Intertask Sustainability project "Sustainability of Bioenergy Supply Chains" in Gothenburg, May 17-18, 2017
IINAS contributed to the IEA Workshop "Sustainability Governance Bioenergy" April 25, 2017 in Paris - see Documentation
- Article "Strategy Elements for a Sustainable Bioenergy Policy Based on Scenarios and Systems Modeling: Germany as Example" to which IINAS contributed (free download)
- The IEA Bioenergy response to the Chatham House report on GHG balances of bioenergy was supported not only by IINAS, but by many colleagues - thanks for this!
- Study of IINAS and our partner SQ Consult for IEA-RETD on integrating 1st and 2nd generation biofuel plants
- IINAS is a partner in the new IEA Bioenergy InterTask Project "Measuring, governing and gaining support for sustainable bioenergy supply chains” which is carried out in cooperation with the universities Chalmers, Laval/Quebec and Utrecht as well as ORNL and will run until 2018.
- The EU Biomass Policies project prepared its final report
- The EU BiomassTrade2020plus project concluded with several new papers
- English summary of the Milestones 2030 project "Elements and milestones for the development of a stable and sustainable bioenergy strategy" (2015)
- For more info see biomass project page and downloads of earlier work
Energy, Climate and Environmental Analyses
- The European Commission held a workshop on "Life Cycle Analysis for Carbon Capture & Utilisation" on June 6, 2017 in Brussels to which IINAS contributed (see live web stream and documentation)
- GEMIS model and database (version 4.95 - update April 2017) as ZIP file
- Selected results from GEMIS for energy and transport systems in Excel file
- updated and extended GEMIS documents
- IINAS is now partner in the World Bank's Platform for Climate-Smart Planning, providing GEMIS as a tool.