GEMIS consists of an analysis model to determine energy and material flows (including transports), and a database.
The analysis model calculates for processes and scenarios so-called life-cycles, i.e. it takes into account all processes from resource extraction (primary energy, raw materials) to final energy or material use, and also includes auxiliary energy and material uses as well as materials for constructing energy, material and transport systems.
For all processe, GEMIS stores
- data on efficiency, power, operating time, and lifetime,
- direct air emissions (SO2, NOx, halogens, particulates, CO, NMVOC, H2S, NH3)
- greenhouse gas emissionen (CO2, CH4, N2O as well as SF6 and CFCs)
- solid wastes (ash, FGD residues, sewage treatment sludge, production wastes, overburden)
- liquid effluents (AOX, BOD5, COD, N, P, innorganic salts)
- land use.
GEMIS can also analyze costs - the respective data of fuels, energy and transport processes (investment, O&M) are part of its database - and employment.
Results of GEMIS are the environmental flows given above, but also aggregated values:
- resources as cumulated energy demand (CED),
- greenhouse gases as CO2 equivalents,
- air emissions as SO2 equivalents (acidification potential) and ozone precursor equivalents (summer smog), and
- externals environmental costs.
All results can be broken down into the contributions from each process, and aggregated into sectoral or regional sub-totals.